Raynham Man Involved in Armed Standoff With Police Sentenced to Prison

Bristol County District Attorney’s Office
Thomas M. Quinn III
District Attorney

Press Release
March 22, 2019​​

A 53-year-old Raynham man and former Quincy Police Officer was sentenced today to serve four to six year in state prison after pleading guilty to charges connected to a January 2017 armed standoff at his home in Raynham, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III announced.

Keith Wilbur pleaded guilty in Fall River Superior Court today to indictments charging him with threatened use of deadly force with a weapon, assault with a dangerous weapon and carrying a firearm while intoxicated.

Police responded to Wilbur’s home after his wife had called, concerned about his drinking and anger issues. When police arrived, he barricaded himself in his basement with a number of loaded guns. The incident led to an hours-long standoff in which Wilbur  fired  two shots at a Raynham Police officer from inside the basement.  One of the shots missed a Raynham officer by about 12 inches.  The defendant eventually surrendered and was arrested.

After accepting the defendant’s guilty pleas this afternoon, Judge Joseph Leighton sentenced the defendant to serve four to six years in state prison, followed by three years of supervised probation.

“This was a very serious incident that could have resulted in the death or serious injury of law enforcement officers.  It is particularly troubling that the defendant engaged in intoxicated and reckless behavior which jeopardized the lives and safety of law enforcement and others in the home,” District Attorney Quinn said.  “I am pleased that the defendant accepted responsibility for his highly irresponsible conduct.  The sentence imposed by the court held him accountable.  The Raynham Police Department and other assisting agencies showed extreme professionalism in bringing about a peaceful resolution to a very volatile situation.”


Gregg Miliote

Director of Communications