Taunton Man Who Assaulted Wife in Front of Child Sentenced to Prison

Bristol County District Attorney’s Office
Thomas M. Quinn III
District Attorney

October 21, 2016


A 31-year-old Taunton man who brutally assaulted his wife in the presence of their two year-old child was sentenced to serve four to six years in state prison yesterday afternoon in Fall River Superior Court, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III announced.


Jeremy Murray pleaded guilty yesterday to an indictment charging him with strangulation, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, reckless endangerment of a child, and assault. During a sentencing hearing held before Judge Raffi Yessayan, Assistant District Attorney Courtney Cahill argued that based on the egregiousness of the facts of the case, the defendant should serve a four to six year prison sentence and then be placed on supervised probation for three years with a litany of conditions. The defendant, however, requested a three to five year prison sentence.


After hearing from both sides, Judge Yessayan ordered the defendant to serve four to six years in state prison, to be followed by three years of supervised probation. The terms of probation include no contact with the victim and mandates the completion of a domestic batterers program.


On August 2, 2015, the defendant and his wife got into an argument.  The defendant stormed out of the Taunton apartment they shared and came back at 4:00 am intoxicated.  Once back in the apartment, the defendant started another argument with his wife and struck her in the legs. At this point, the victim picked up their two year old child and walked out of the apartment and down the stairs.  While on the stairs with the child in her arms, the defendant came out and pulled her back up the stairs by her hair while banging her head off the wall. 


Once back inside the apartment, he dragged the victim to the kitchen and banged her head repeatedly off a windowsill, hit her, kicked her and strangled her—all while the child was still in her arms. 


After the assault, she was finally able to leave and ran to her sister’s house down the street. 




Gregg Miliote

Director of Communications