Two Men Charged in Connection to Ongoing New Bedford Homicide Probe

Bristol County District Attorney’s Office

Thomas M. Quinn III
District Attorney

Press Release
May 18, 2021

Two New Bedford men have been charged in connection to the ongoing investigation into the Friday night shooting homicide of Joseph Pauline, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III announced.

Christopher Boyer, 19, and Anthony Rosario, 20, were both located this weekend in Brockton at the Super 8 Motel before being transported back to New Bedford for police questioning. 

Mr. Boyer was formally charged in New Bedford District Court yesterday with Accessory to Murder-After the Fact.  He was arraigned on the charge late Monday afternoon and was held on $1,000 cash bail.Assistant District Attorney Matthew Lopes had requested $25,000 cash bail be set for the defendant. He is due back in court June 11.

Mr. Rosario was formally charged with Assault and Battery to Collect a Loan in connection to the ongoing homicide investigation.  Rosario also was arraigned on the charge late Monday afternoon in New Bedford District Court.  He was ordered held without bail pending the results of a dangerousness hearing, which is scheduled to occur on May 24 at 2 pm.

Due to the ongoing nature of this homicide investigation, information about the facts of the cases cannot be disseminated publicly at this time.  If and when an arrest is made for murder, this office will send out a follow up press release.

Homicide Unit prosecutors, Massachusetts State Police detectives assigned to this office and New Bedford Police are actively investigating a homicide, which occurred Friday night in The City of New Bedford.

New Bedford Police received 911 calls around 6:45 pm reporting shots fired outside the Richdale Food Market on Brock Avenue.  

When first responders arrived on scene moments later, they located a male victim in the parking lot, suffering from an apparent gunshot wound.  The victim, who was later identified as Joseph Pauline, 32, of New Bedford, was rushed to Saint Luke’s Hospital in New Bedford, where he was pronounced deceased at 7:44 pm

The investigation into the shooting homicide is extremely active and ongoing at this time.  No further information can be released at this time.  


Gregg Miliote

Director of Communications