Alleged New Bedford Shooter Found Dangerous; Held Without Bail
An 18-year-old New Bedford man who is accused of shooting another man near Roberto Clemente Park this past June was found dangerous by a Fall River Superior Court Judge last week, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III announced.
Jose Santos faces indictments charging him with aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery by means of a firearm, and carrying an illegal firearm.
At approximately 2:30 am on June 17, New Bedford Police responded to a Shot Spotter notification at Rivet and South First streets in the south end of New Bedford. When officers arrived, they saw blood on the street and also found a 9 mm shell casing in the area. One of the officers was flagged down by people in a car. The civilians told police that they saw the victim laying on the street, and put him in the car to take him to the hospital.
Police learned that the victim and his girlfriend were walking past the park when two men got out of a nearby vehicle, confronted the victim, and began to chase the victim. This defendant is alleged to have fired one shot at the victim, wounding him in the leg.
Through surveillance video, police were able to identify a car believed to have been occupied by the suspects. Records connected this car to the defendant’s father. Surveillance video also showed the defendant parking the car next to his residence shortly after the shooting. Multiple fingerprints from the car were identified as the defendant’s.
The defendant was initially held without bail as a dangerous person after the conclusion of a New Bedford District Court dangerousness hearing in June. Now that the case has been indicted, the defendant was the subject of a Superior Court dangerousness hearing on December 1. On December 2, Judge Susan Sullivan found the defendant to be a danger and ordered him held without bail for up to 180 days as the case proceeds towards trial or final disposition.
The case is being prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Stephen Nadeau.
“I am pleased that the defendant was held without bail as a danger to the community. This is another act of senseless violence that often results in serious injury or death,” District Attorney Quinn said.
The charges against the defendant are only allegations at this time. All defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Director of Communications