New Bedford Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for Baby’s 2013 Death

District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III announced that a 24-year-old New Bedford man was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty today in Fall River Superior Court to a second degree murder charge connected to the January 2013 death of 9-month-old baby girl.

Ethen Harrison was sentenced to serve life in prison with the possibility of parole after 15 years by Superior Court Judge Rene Dupuis late this afternoon.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Stephen Nadeau and MaryClare Flynn.

On January 24, 2013, 9-month-old Ariel Eluziario was being babysat by the defendant, who was the child’s mother at the time. About two hours after beginning to babysit the child, the defendant showed up with the baby at the mother’s workplace in New Bedford, insisting on seeing the child’s mother. It was immediately apparent that the child was limp, unresponsive and in need of medical attention, so a manager at the mother’s workplace drove them all to St. Luke’s Hospital in New Bedford.

The child was treated, and then air-lifted to Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island.  Despite the efforts of doctors, Ariel was pronounced deal later that evening.

After initially giving various different account son what happened to the child, the defendant eventually told police that he had become angry and frustrated with the child because she would not stop crying. He admitted to striking the baby and shaking the baby. Brushing was evident on the baby’s face, ears, arms and back. And an autopsy found the child was bleeding between the brain and the skull, had brain swelling and lacerations to the lining of the mouth.

“Any time a child is harmed or seriously injured it strikes a raw nerve with all of us. In this case, an innocent 9-month-old child was beaten to death by the mother’s boyfriend, who had no biological connection to the child,” said District Attorney Quinn. “My heart breaks for the child and the family members who are suffering as a result of his death. I’m happy that the defendant has been held accountable and will serve a life sentence for his callous and brutal actions.”

Gregg Miliote
Director of Communications